We’re Excited to Announce…

Lakefield Youth Unlimited

has a new home

DOUBLE YOUR IMPACT!

From now until November 10th, every donation toward the LYU Barn fundraising campaign will be doubled, to a maximum of $15,000! So far, we have matched $10,338, so the next $4,662 donated by November 10th will be doubled!
This match campaign has been made possible by two generous donors who will match every donation during this time. Matching is only available until midnight, November 10th, so don’t delay!

FUNDRAISING PROGRESS

We have raised $42,357 toward our goal of $75,000! These funds are needed to allow us to make renovations, so the space can be used to its full potential. Thank you to our generous donors for helping us make it this far!

Any excess funds will be transferred into the Lakefield General Account, which funds our programs and helps us meet needs across our community.

1 BIG NEWS

We have acquired a three-level, 4,400 sq.ft. building (formerly owned by Tribal Voices) in a central location, off the bridge which joins both sides of the village of Lakefield.

As a non-profit organization,

How were we able to afford this purchase?

2 A GENEROUS GIFT

We were approached by an anonymous lender who saw the potential for LYU to benefit from this building. They offered us a no-interest, no-payments loan of $800,000 for as long as we own the building, which covered about 97% of the funds we needed for the purchase. We have borrowed the remaining 3% (about $20,000) through short-term loans from other partners.

Why would someone do this?

3 OUR VISION

Over 10 years ago, during an LYU Steering Team meeting, we felt God showing us several “images”: a bridge, a red brick building, two streams of water, a red-roofed barn, and a “battle on a bridge” which ended with both sides of the bridge coming together in peace. Although we had no idea what it meant, we wrote these images down.

Then, almost nine years ago, we were offered the rental of a red-brick house, which we currently use as our LYU Office. It was situated off the bridge, between the Otonabee River and the Trent Canal, next to what was the Antique Barn, which now has a red barn roof! This was such a confirmation of what we had seen and recorded. For several years, that building has been our home base, and has allowed us to develop affordable housing (and will continue to do so).

Just over a year ago, a partner came to us and told us that the same red-roofed barn was up for sale and asked if we wanted it. With careful consideration, we said “yes” and since then have negotiated and had our offer accepted!

So, what comes next?

4 OPPORTUNITIES ABOUND

We are excited with the many ways this building can and will be used. In order to afford ongoing operational costs, we plan for sustainable income. A community partner will rent the basement and we have plans for a second office space available for rent as part of the upper floor.

The rest of the building has so many possibilities. In addition to being LYU’s primary office space, here are just a few ideas that could possibly happen in this space:

  • Life Skills Youth Programs
  • Shared Meeting Room
  • Jr. / Sr. High Programs
  • Gathering Space for Families
  • After-School Programming
Help Make Our Dreams Come True

5 WE NEED YOUR HELP

We need to pay off the $20,000 in short-term loans as quickly as possible.
Renovations will also be needed so that we can adapt the space of the new building to fit our specific needs.
Outstanding Loans: $20,000
Renovation Costs: $55,000
HOW YOU CAN HELP $75,000
Please consider helping us meet this financial need. With your generous support, LYU will be able to continue our work in Lakefield, in new ways that will now be possible due to this amazing new building!
PLEASE PARTNER WITH US!

Ways to Donate

In Person

LYU Office,
10 Hill St Lakefield

  • Office Hours Tues. & Wed., 9am-1pm
    (use the drop box for after-hours)
  • Cash or Cheque payable to Youth Unlimited,
    Memo “Lakefield Barn”

OR

Kawartha YU Office,
256 Brock St Peterborough

  • Office Hours Mon. – Thurs., 10am-4:30pm
    (use the Bethune St mail slot for after-hours)
  • Cash, Credit Card or Cheque payable
    to Youth Unlimited, Memo “Lakefield Barn”

By Phone

Kawartha YU Office,
(705) 743-2900

  • Credit Cards can be processed over the phone
  • Office Hours Mon. to Thurs., 10am-4:30pm

By Mail

PO Box 1178 Lakefield, ON K0L2H0

  • Cheque payable to Youth Unlimited,
    Memo “Lakefield Barn”

E-Transfer

Send e-Transfer to john@youthunlimitedkaw.com

 

Thank You for Helping Us Bring Our Dream To Life!